The Center is a nonprofit community center with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status whose mission is to create opportunities for healthy aging through social engagement, physical well-being, civic involvement, creativity, and lifelong learning. Membership is open to anyone age 50 and up.
Are you looking for a community center? A cultural center? A social, fitness, or civic center? You can find all of them at one convenient location—The Center!
You're always welcome to come look around or try out programs for free. Try It Out Tuesday, our orientation for new and prospective members on the first Tuesday of every month, is also a great way to see what’s here for you. Join us for a light lunch and a brief presentation to learn about The Center and meet some of our program leaders and staff. Try It Out Tuesday is generously sponsored by The Colonnades, an independent living community and retirement home in Charlottesville that is a perfect fit for active senior citizens.
The Center is a testament to the power of healthy aging. It fosters connections that create a wonderful sense of community among members who share both diverse interests and common life experience. It's a vibrant community with professors and plumbers, mechanics and managers. Everyone is valued and respected. Membership is a great deal, with no-hassle scholarships available. And now …
You have more choices!
Beginning July 1, new and renewing members will have a choice of either Standard or Prime membership.
Standard membership is essentially the same as what we have had in the past. It includes access to about 80% of our programs, with fee-based programs available à la carte.
For members who participate in fee-based programs, Prime membership is an all-inclusive* option that offers more value. Once the door opens at Belvedere, Prime members will enjoy access to fee-based programs at no additional cost. Prime members also receive a certificate for a trial month of membership to share with a friend or family member, a 20% discount on facility rental, and a $20 gift card for the Greenberry’s Coffee Co. at The Center at Belvedere.
* Exceptions are travel, designated special events/programs, and services (such as seated massage)
We are less than a year out from moving to our beautiful new home—The Center at Belvedere!
That means your annual membership will span the two locations. To keep the transition as simple as possible, we are pro-rating costs based on how many months of membership will be spent here at Hillsdale and how many will be at Belvedere. The table below shows the amount for each option based on the month you join.
A "Household" is defined as any two individuals living at the same mailing address with at least one person aged 50 or older.
More to know:
To thank you for making the journey to our new home, if you join between July 1, 2019, and January 31, 2020, you will receive an extra month of membership and, once the doors open at Belvedere, a $15 Greenberry’s gift card and a $20 travel credit.
- You can pay for membership on a monthly basis or all at once.
- If you opt for Standard when you join but later decide you’d prefer Prime, no worries—members can switch at any time from Standard to Prime and vice versa.
- The Mary P. Reese Scholarship Fund makes scholarships available for anyone who cannot afford membership dues. Please contact Judy Gardner, our Member & Guest Relations Coordinator, at 434.974.7756 if you would like to request a scholarship or you have any questions about membership.
To become a member, you can:
- Join online here.
- Download a PDF version of the Membership Registration Form to fill out and bring to The Center’s Welcome Desk, or
- Simply drop by The Center and join at our Welcome Desk.
To renew your membership:
- Renew online here.
- Stop by the Welcome Desk anytime or mail you payment to The Center, 491 Hillsdale Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22901, Attn: Judy Gardner.
Contact Judy Gardner with questions about membership payments or renewal dates.