Travel Class - Virginia's Civil War
Tuesday, June 4, 2019 | 4:00-5:00pm
Virginia’s Civil War: Campaign & Battles of the Old Dominion, Part II with Civil War Historian Rick Britton
The perfect class for both recent transplants and local history buffs who want to delve a bit deeper!
We’ll start off with an astounding Confederate victory, Chancellorsville, then explore the Gettysburg Campaign, the second invasion of the North. In 1864, with the advent of Union Gen. U. S. Grant—and adept, and aggressive commander—we’ll witness the slow grinding down of Confederate forces. The Overland Campaign led inexorably to the siege of Petersburg and Richmond . . . which led inevitably into the Appomattox Campaign and defeat. Join us as we explore the last two years of the conflict in the Old Dominion (each session featuring a slide presentation)—a great way to learn about Virginia’s Civil War!
An award-winning local historian, Rick Britton has published scores of articles on the Civil War, and two books— Jefferson: A Monticello Sampler (2008), and Virginia Vignettes: Famous Characters & Events in Central Virginia History (2015).
The class startsTuesday, June 4th, 4:00–5:30 p.m. (and continuing for another 5 Tuesdays at The Center, the Travel class will be the 6th Tuesday).
- Tuesday, June 4th - 4:oo pm – The Chancellorsville Campaign
- Tuesday, June 11th - 4:oo pm – The Gettysburg Campaign
- Tuesday, June 18th - 4:oo pm – The Wilderness & Spotsylvania Court House
- Tuesday, June 25th - 4:oo pm – The Battles of North Anna & Cold Harbor
- Tuesday, July 2nd - 4:oo pm – The Siege of Petersburg & Richmond
- Tuesday, July 9th - 4:oo pm – The Appomattox Campaign
- Tuesday, July 23rd – Travel Session: An entire day touring Overland Campaign battlefields with historian Rick Britton. We’ll start off by seeing the Mule Shoe at Spotsylvania Court House (one of the war’s most heavily contested defensive positions), then take a trail walk through the North Anna site. After lunch we’ll tour the beautifully preserved Confederate works at Cold Harbor. Join us! (Tour departs 8:00 a.m., returns between 4:30 & 5:30 p.m. Travel Session is a separate charge.)
Location: The Center