Philadelphia - Revolutionary War Getaway
September 26-30, 2019
Philadelphia is the birthplace of the United States. It’s where our Founding Fathers met, discussed, debated, and formed a new country. Founded in 1682 as the capital of William Penn’s Crown Province, Philadelphia, by 1775, was our nation’s largest city with a population of 25,000. Our first seat of government, it’s where the Declaration of Independence was written. During the war, numerous battles and campaigns were conducted for its defense. When it comes to Revolutionary War tourism, Philadelphia is the place to go!
Join award-winning historian Rick Britton as we explore Revolutionary War Philadelphia and its environs (September 26 through September 30). (Note that the Activity Level for this tour is Active.)
Your Philadelphia Experience Includes:
- Museums - Visits to the city’s wonderful Revolution-related museums and sites, including: the Museum of the American Revolution, Independence Hall & Congress Hall, the Betsy Ross House, the Liberty Bell, and the Graff House where Thomas Jefferson penned the Declaration (just to name a few).
- Guided Battlefield Tour - A day-long charter bus tour to two of the best Revolutionary War sites—the Brandywine Battlefield and Valley Forge—led by military historian Ed Lengel, former U.Va. history professor and editor in chief of the Papers of George Washington.
- Evening Presentation – A lecture by historian Rick Britton on the Declaration of Independence and the many myths of the American Revolution.
- Independence Walking Tour – A 75-minute stroll through Philadelphia history. We’ll walk in the footsteps of George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, and Benjamin Franklin (literally!).
- Guided Walking Tours – Led by Rick Britton, we’ll take in sites not covered in the above (sites TBA).
- City Tavern – To help us get into the proper spirit, we’ll lunch at the famous City Tavern, where the ambience, menu, and waitstaff are totally Revolutionary! (Lunch included.)
- Spasso’s Italian Restaurant – Could we go to Philly and not dine Italian style?! (Dinner included.)
Amenities & Cost:
- Transportation - Amtrak to and from Philadelphia: transfers to and from Amtrak Station. Charter bus service for our day-long battlefield tour.
- Accomodations – A 4-night stay at the beautiful Sheraton Society Hill, conveniently located in the city’s historic district. Breakfasts are provided!
- Admissions – With the Philadelphia Pass (included), admission will be covered to most museums and historic sites.
- Group Meals – A group lunch at City Tavern, a group dinner at Spasso’s Italian Restaurant.
- Cost – Per person, based on double occupancy - $1272: Single occupancy - $1945. Deposit - $750.
Sign up below, or for more information, contact the Center Travel Office at (434) 974-6538.
Open to all.
Location: Philadelphia, PA